Monday, February 8, 2010

DREAMS...We all have them

One day we were born. We have our first laugh. We shed our first tear. We play our first sport. Or sing our first song. We go through struggles. We make friends. We lose friends. We fall in love. We get our hearts broken. We find success. We have failures. We have DREAMS.

I am young and have only been on this earth for 21.5 years but I somehow have a fascination with how people have become the person they are. What makes you, you? We go through experiences and we learn from them. But what inspires people to strive to be the person they are today? Why are some people more successful than others? Is it because they work harder or did they just know the right people? Did they come from a world of outside support and possibility? Or a world of loneliness and self-motivation?

So while fashion is something that I have taken a huge interest to, I also have come to take an interest in people and how they pursued there dreams. As I have previously stated, Kelly Cutrone, has recently served to be an inspiration to me and I love reading her story. After finishing her new book, in one day, I became inspired to be a women as driven as her. It is so inspiring to me to listen to not only her story, but the story of countless other successful women. Here a few of my favorite quotes that I highlighted from the first chapter of her book, "If you have to cry, go outside"
- I knew from a young age that I was special and that something magical would happen to me. It was my journey inwards-the process of learning to listen and trust myself-that electrified and transformed my outer journey, helping me conceive and achieve things beyond my wildest dreams."

-If this book inspires you to do one thing, I hope it's to take the years when you're young-say, between the ages of fifteen and thirty-five, before you have a mortgage or kids or anything else that needs to be fed-and go balls out on intuition and follow your dreams. Dreams won't always take you on a straight path to destiny, but they're usually related to what your soul wants from you.

-I happen to believe that the world will change only when we change ourselves. And that starts with finding ourselves. And THAT starts with listening to ourselves: learning to quiet the clamor in our minds and the voices of everyone around us and move toward what feels right-toward the things we know, for reasons we can't explain, that we're meant to do, the things that make us feel alive. It means taking a journey like the spectacular and terrifying and ultimately mind-blowing adventure I've been on for twenty years. I hope that you too will choose to have a journey instead of just a life. Actually, I hope it's a full on expedition.

-In breaking away from the familiar and the expected, you'll be forced and privileged to face greater challenges, learn harder lessons, and really get to know yourself. But like Dorothy's, your journey will be much easier with a tribe of mentors, advisors, and trusted friends to help you chart your course and support you when you stumble.. There's power in numbers. It takes a village. Say it however you want to, but the truth is that we cannot go through this life alone.

-The road to your dreams is sometimes dark, and it's sometimes magical, but "The Wizard of Oz" had one thing right: it's ultimately about the journey and the characters who accompany you on it, not the destination.


Diane Von Furstenberg is another women who I have also been reading about and have become inspired by the past couple years. She too, like Kelly, had a dream at a young age to be a strong independent woman. Her story, of course, is much different than Kelly's. What I love about Diane is her undeniable devotion to women. I think her life as an independent woman with a dream, has caused other women like myself to strive to do just that. Her positive attitude and devotion to her brand has not only led her toward the path to success, but has become a women well-respected in her industry. A lot of her inspiration came from a strong woman, her mother, who is a Holocaust survivor. From her she learned that "fear is not an option" and "to be your own best friend." Love her. Here is a link to an interview she had with Diane Sawyer on Good Morning America. It is just a short 6 min interview that I encourage anyone to watch:
URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=369ouRcKvF0

After reading about and watching women like Kelly and Diane make a difference in the way not only I think, but how other women think about their futures. It is the people like this and their words of motivation and encouragement who help others believe in the beauty of their dreams. Having said this, I would like to share a few dreams I have of mine in no particular order:

1) Moving to New York is a dream in and of itself.
2) Learning as much as I can about the business of fashion and the Marketing, and the Branding, and the Public Relations, and the Styling, and really EVERYTHING behind it all.
3) Travel the world.
4) Start my own business and become my own boss.
5) Have two golden retrievers
6) Have a family
7) Become a role model and inspiration to anyone else who too has dreams...
8) Have a second home...some where warm to escape to when I need a break from the city (haha)
9) Run half marathon...maybe a full one but a half would suffice.
10) Enjoy the journey and the people I meet along the way.

I will end this blog to a link to a great song by Ingrid Michaelson "Soldier"
URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpAao7nMhuc



No comments:

Post a Comment