Thursday, May 27, 2010

Why I love Grace Coddington!

Ever since I discovered who Grace Coddington is on the highly acclaimed "The September Issue," I was blown away by her! Her spreads are one of the main reasons why I buy Vogue in the first place. She proves the saying that a "picture is worth a thousand words." In an industry where trends and looks are constantly being recycled, it is sometimes difficult to think how the creative directors manage to re-create, re-word, or re-interpret the many looks and inspirations on the pages of each fashion spread, runway show, billboard ad, or store display. Grace is THE person who has the ability to mix the past and the present with what will be popular in the future.
My favorite part of "The September Issue" is when she is in Paris, looking out onto the gardens saying, "You can't get left behind, you have to go charging ahead." She also makes references to "keeping your eyes open because you never know what will inspire you." It is amazing to me how her story in fashion began as a model (Her friend submitted a photo of her in a Vogue contest back when she was a teen!)...She received no formal education on fashion. Rather she is the story of a self-made natural success...While certainly knowing the right people. I believe that fashion runs in the veins of those who obtain a sort of "fashion gene" that is comprised of in their chromosomes. Does that make sense? Who knows, but all I know is I find it amazing at what people are capable of doing in the world - especially from a creative standpoint. There is more to come! But where is it going? Only time can tell...

Here are images from Grace's recent spread in American Vogue for June 2010...(Sorry for the bad quality - I took pictures of the copy I own)





No comments:

Post a Comment